The Denver Museum of Nature & Science has an active research program and authors a variety of publications. These include the Annals (formerly the Proceedings), Reports (formerly Technical Reports), Annual Reports, and curator publications.
Denver Museum of Nature & Science Annals
The Denver Museum of Nature & Science Annals (ISSN 1948-9293 [print], ISSN 1948-9307 [online]) is an open-access, peer-reviewed scientific journal publishing original papers in the fields of anthropology, geology, paleontology, botany, zoology, space and planetary sciences, and health sciences. Papers are either authored by Museum staff, associates, or volunteers, deal with Museum specimens or holdings, or have a regional focus on the Rocky Mountains/Great Plains ecoregions.
Paper copies are exchanged with our institutional partners via the Bailey Library Exchange Program. Contact us at [email protected] for more information. Paper copies can be purchased from www.lulu.com. The Denver Museum of Nature & Science owns the copyright of the works published in the Annals, which are published under the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial license. For commercial use of published material, please contact Samuel Schiller in the Alfred M. Bailey Library & Archives at [email protected]. The Author Guidelines and the Annals Copyright Transfer may be downloaded by clicking the links.
- NEW Nash, S.E. 2014. “A Stone Lives On”: Vasily Konovalenko’s Gem Carving Sculptures at the Denver Museum of Nature & Science. Denver Museum of Nature & Science Annals 6: 67 pp. (November 15, 2014). Click to download a single low quality file here; or in high quality as part 1, part 2, part 3, and part 4. Purchase a paperback copy, or a hardbound copy.
- Krell, F.-T. 2014. Pleistocene Dung Beetles from MIS 5 at Ziegler Reservoir, Snowmass Village, Colorado (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae: Aphodiinae). Denver Museum of Nature & Science Annals 5: 12 pp. (July 15, 2014). Click to download. Purchase a printed copy.
- Johnson, K., Armstrong, B., Colwell-Chanthaphonh, C., Kruger, F., Haglund, K.A. & Krell, F.-T. 2013. Denver's Natural History Museum: A History. Denver Museum of Nature & Science Annals 4: 427 pp. (December 31, 2013). Download volume 4 in three parts: part 1, part 2, part 3, or download the chapters below. Purchase a paperback copy, or a hardbound copy.
Title, Preface (G. Sparks) and Foreword (P.N. Limerick), pp. 1-10.
"A MUSEUM HERE FOUNDED" A summative history (C. Colwell-Chanthaphonh, K.A. Haglund, R.K. Stucky & P. Wineman), pp. 11-64. Purchase a bound reprint of the first chapter: hardbound, paperback.
EXHIBITS An Evolution (F. Kruger, L. Clancy & K.A. Haglund), pp. 65-104.
EDUCATION Informal science learning for the public (C. Cochran, P. Andrews, L. Davis & R. Smith), pp. 105-136.
ZOOLOGY Exploring the biodiversity of Colorado and the world (J.T. Stephenson, P.E. Cushing, J.R. Demboski & F.-T. Krell), pp. 137-178.
GEOLOGY Exploration of Colorado's deepest roots (L.D. Ivy & J.W. Hagadorn), pp. 179-230.
PALEONTOLOGY Discovering the ancient history of the American West (K. Johnson & R.K. Stucky), pp. 231-282.
ANTHROPOLOGY Unearthing the human experience (C. Colwell-Chanthaphonh, S.E. Nash, S.R. Holen & M.N. Levine), pp. 283-336.
SPACE SCIENCES Our place in the universe (C. Cochran, K. Evans, D. Grinspoon, D. Klebe, S. Lee, M. Lindsay, D. Neafus & K.C. Yu), pp. 337-362.
HEALTH SCIENCES A newcomer and a pioneer (C. Cochran, B. Coghlin & N. Garneau), pp. 363-382.
APPENDICES Board Members, Curators, Directors and Presidents/CEOs, Museum Publications, Temporary exhibits, pp. 383-427.
- Christiansen, M.G. & Stucky, R.K. 2013. Revision of the Wind River Faunas, Early Eocene of Central Wyoming. Part 15. New Nyctitheriidae (?Lipotyphla) with Analysis of the Relationships of North American Taxa. Denver Museum of Nature & Science Annals 3: 16 pp. (September 19, 2013) Click to download (PDF | 2.2MB) Purchase a printed copy.
- Maxson, R.E., Colwell-Chanthaphonh, C. & Lomayestewa, L.W. 2011. Lost in Translation: Rethinking Hopi Katsina Tithu and Museum Language Systems. Denver Museum of Nature & Science Annals 2: 139 pp. (April 15, 2011) Click to download (PDF | 6.5MB) Purchase a printed copy.
The Denver Museum of Nature & Science Reports (ISSN 2374-7730 [print], ISSN 2374-7749 [online]) is an open-access, non peer-reviewed scientific journal publishing papers about DMNS research, collections, or other Museum related topics, generally authored or co-authored by Museum staff or associates. Peer review will only be arranged on request of the authors.
Paper copies are exchanged with our institutional partners via the Bailey Library Exchange Program. Contact us at [email protected] for more information. Paper copies can be purchased from www.lulu.com. The Denver Museum of Nature & Science owns the copyright of the works published in the Reports, which are published under the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial license.
Proceedings of the Denver Museum of Natural History (discontinued)
Proceedings of the Denver Museum of Natural History published between 1915 and 2002. Copyright by Denver Museum of Nature & Science. Click here to view the full list and PDFs of published Proceedings.
Denver Museum of Nature & Science Technical Reports (discontinued)
From 2003 to 2013, the Denver Museum of Nature & Science Technical Reports captured the work by Research and Collections Division authors that may have not been published otherwise. The full list of Technical Reports may be viewed by clicking here. Select reports are available for download (reselling prohibited).
Selected Annual Reports of the Museum can be viewed here.