This is a great opportunity for those who have archaeological experience and are enthusiastic about communicating archaeology to the public. Volunteers will support the public units and will educate tour groups on excavation techniques and assist as they try their hand at fieldwork. No previous knowledge about the site is required however, previous excavation experience is required. Education and/or experience in archaeology is strongly preferred.
- Excavation experience is required
- Create a welcoming atmosphere for other volunteers and guests by being friendly, informed, and enthusiastic
- Solid oral communication skills
- Ability and desire to work with people of all ages
- Understand the training materials and be informed and updated on on-site activities
- Adhere to any excavation procedures and/or policies developed by the Denver Museum of Nature & Science and Paleocultural Research Group (PCRG) teams
- Ability to spend up to eight hours performing physical tasks in various weather conditions
- Excavation work can be strenuous in terms of physical work and working conditions volunteers working at excavations must be in good physical condition, or know their limitations and only agree to volunteer within those limitations
- Excited and passionate about archaeology, local history, and science, responsive and adaptable to varying tour participant needs
- Resourceful, able to find out information (science content, logistical information, etc.) in an efficient, considerate manner
- Bilingual skills a plus
Three training sessions will be offered. Volunteers only need to attend one of the trainings. There will be a training in early June at Denver Museum of Nature & Science in Denver, as well as June 18 and 19 at the Magic Mountain Dig Site in Golden. Training times for all three are TBD.
This project will have two sessions. Session 1: June 20 to June 27 and Session 2: July 5 to July 14. Work days will be from 8 a.m. to approximately 4:30 p.m. each day. We ask that you plan on working a minimum of three consecutive days but sign up for as many as you can!
Minimum Age Requirement
Available to individual applicants 18 years of age or older.
How To Apply
Current Volunteers at the Denver Museum of Nature & Science
If you are a current volunteer at DMNS email [email protected] with the subject heading Magic Mountain and include your full name in the message. You will receive an email response with additional instructions.
Not a Current Volunteer at the Denver Museum of Nature & Science
Please complete the online Adult Volunteer Application.
For questions about the application process please contact Moe Shuley at [email protected] or 303.370.8345.
For questions regarding the Excavator Educator position and shifts contact Britni Rockwell at [email protected] or 303.439.4098.