Exciting Summer Volunteer Opportunities for Teens!
Are you looking for a fun and rewarding way to spend your summer? If you have an interest in science, art, and the natural world and enjoy working with children, you might be a good match for our “mostly” summer volunteer positions. We are looking for teens that are friendly, curious, and great with kids to help with our children’s programs and our children’s exhibition.
Within the program, there are a variety of opportunities for students, ages 14-18 years old, to gain valuable work experience in a museum setting. From greeting program participants, to leading activities in our exhibits and summer day camps, teen volunteers work as part of a team bringing the Museum to life for our littlest guests.
The majority of the time commitment takes place during the summer, but we do ask for a very small and manageable time commitment during the school year as well. If you’d like to join our dynamic community this summer, please read on to learn more!
- Free admission to the Museum, as well as IMAX and Planetarium shows
- Discounts on memberships and in the Museum Shop and T-Rex Cafe
- New skills and experiences to add to your resume and college applications
- Individualized training from Museum educators and group recognition for your service
- Opportunities to meet new people, make friends, and have fun!
Early Application Deadline: Monday, February 20, 2017
We’ll be accepting applications until all the positions are filled, but this is a very popular opportunity and we typically close the application window by early March. If you are interested, we encourage you to apply today! Those who apply before February 20, will have greater chances of acceptance and will enjoy greater scheduling options if accepted.
Acceptance Notification Date: Wednesday, March 22, 2017
- Applicants must be 14 or older by September 30, 2017.
- Applicants must have an email address where they can receive all correspondence from the Denver Museum of Nature & Science.
- Applicants must be available for an interview at the Museum before acceptance into the program.
- Applicants don’t need experience working with children, but do need to enjoy their company. Volunteers must be friendly, flexible, patient, and demonstrate respect for people of all ages.
- Apply early, space is limited. (Those who are accepted first, get first choice of their schedules).
- Email is the Museum’s primary method of communication.
- If you miss a deadline in our process, you will not be considered for a volunteer position.
Quotes from Teen Volunteers
“The Museum encourages teaching along with the activities, therefore there is a wide variety of opportunities to learn about subjects one normally wouldn't. There has never been a day that I've come to the Museum and not learned something new. I always have a wonderful time and come home so thankful that I got involved with a program of this caliber. I was able to walk into my current two jobs confident that I had the intellectual, social, and creative resources necessary to be successful. It was relevant job training for most any career I could pursue in the future.“
“Understandably, when I began volunteering with the Denver Museum of Nature and Science (DMNS), I was overwhelmed with nostalgia and feelings of homecoming. Since my first day as a volunteer, I have continued to make happy memories at DMNS, and the sense of belonging and joy that meets me every day at the door has only grown stronger.“
“My first summer volunteering was so much fun. After the summer, I continued to volunteer during the school year on weekends. The following summer I volunteered every other week, and by that time I had made friends with other teen volunteers I now call some of my best friends. I had a newfound confidence and my teachers noticed a difference in me that school year. I couldn't stop talking about my volunteer experience at the Museum.”
More Information about the Children's Programs Volunteer Role, Training, and Scheduling
More Information about the Discovery Zone Volunteer Role, Training, and Scheduling
More Information about the Application Process
2017 "Mostly" Summer Teen Volunteer Application
If you have any questions, please email Natrisha Bayer at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 303.370.6436